This comprehensive one-day programme is designed to cover all of the legal requirements for the safe use and mounting of abrasive wheels (Si No 30 of 1982, SI No36 of 2016)
It looks at the most up-to-date legislation, plus, wheel selection, wheel storage, wheel types and markings. This course also includes practical demonstrations on procedures to be followed when mounting abrasive wheels.
The employer should ensure that the selection and mounting of an abrasive wheel to any machine is carried out by an authorised person (SI No 36 of 2016 reg 213 (1)). The authorised person is a person who has being trained and is competent. The employer is responsible to ensure that the wheel selected is the correct wheel for the job and correct speed and spindle size for the machine it is to be mounted on. The employer should ensure that the wheel is mounted only to a machine with free from defects and has appropriate guarding. Reg 209 applies to an employer in respect of the use of any abrasive wheel for any grinding or cutting operation at a place of work. This course does not cover the starting up, shutting down or use of any machine for which the abrasive wheel is mounted.
1. The hazards arising from the use of abrasive wheels
2. Identify the methods of marking abrasive wheels as to type and speed
3. List the methods of storage, handling and transportation of abrasive wheels
4. Show the methods for testing and inspecting wheels for damage
5. Demonstrate the correct method of mounting an abrasive wheel including knowledge of the function of the components
6. Show the method of dressing a wheel
7. To adjust the rest correctly
8. The requirements of the regulations
9. Risks associated with Power Tools, not to use power tools.
10. Practical training (mount a selected wheel to a machine) session, from which all delegates will be assessed.
Delivery methodology and interactive approach
This is a classroom-based course with videos and practical exercises. Each delegate will need to demonstrate the method to inspect and mount an abrasive wheel.
Course Duration1/2 Day
Number of Delegates10 maximum per course
On successful completion of this course Shorcontrol Safety will issue Certificates to each delegate, which are valid for 3 years.